Windowsill Pies@Jalan Besar


Windowsill Pies is located in the still somewhat quiet neighbourhood of Jalan Besar and there were just a handful of customers when we visited on a Sat night last month. But I think crowds of youngsters and yuppies would eventually swarm to this up-and-coming hip enclave (also home to Chye Seng Huat Hardware) and it wouldn't be as nice for hanging out anymore. So if you are a pie lover, my advice is to check this place out soon!


I first casually blogged about Windowsill Pies when I spotted their grasshopper pie (the green mint one with delicious-looking chocolate bits) at Penny University. Then they were still popping up at various cafes and farmer/flea markets and this new shop wasn't in existence yet. But seems like they have found a new home - which is done up pretty nicely in line with their "in the woods" theme.


Pies on display (those I can recall, roughly from top to bottom) include the Sam Willows pie with bits of pear (named after a local band), the Morello cherry pie, pecan pie, strawberry lemon tart, some banana cream pie, the grasshopper pie, smore's pie and the pumpkin pie!

There were so many tempting choices to choose from and it took me a while to decide on which two to get. In the end we settled for the exotic Sam Willows pie (with rosemary, peanut butter and bits of pear) and the smore's pie. 


Perhaps they are still new and unheard of - and so the cafe was really quite empty - which was great for us but maybe not so good for the owners!


A bright yellow SMEG refrigerator found next to a cute vintage chest of display shelves for cutlery, utensils and some store merchandise. 



A close-up shot of the Smore's pie and Sam Willows pie. I think both D and I preferred the Sam Willows pie for its eclectic blend of surprisingly somewhat complementary ingredients. I quite liked the Smore's one too - though due to his lower threshold for sweet things D didn't like it as much as I did. Both pies came with pretty thin crusts too - which I didn't expect as I am used to slightly thicker and more substantial pie crusts. 

The pies were good but not cheap - if I recall correctly they were in the range of $8 per piece. It's a nice place to check out and chill with friends but since I am not exactly a pie fan I probably won't come by specially just to get a piece of pie :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...