A piece of nostalgia


For a change, I decided to create my version of an old-fashioned cake last Wednesday. This idea was seeded after I chanced upon someone's old-fashioned birthday cake post a couple of weeks ago; and my project materialised when I managed to find my nostalgic wafer roses! But unlike Nasi Lemak Lover, I was contented to just decorate two petite pieces of cake for fun and self-amusement.

Actually - I believe you can still find similar-looking cakes in one of those traditional cake shops tucked away in some old HDB neighbourhood. And I think Toastbox sells these rectangular slices of buttercream cakes decorated with strips of colourful jam - quite happy they have decided to keep these cake designs alive, though I've not really tried any myself :)

I harbored the thought of squeezing a few roses on each petite cake (since I had quite a few on hand!), but eventually settled for a cleaner and minimalist look with one rose per cake. I think it turned out for the better. Getting the chocolate sprinkles neatly on the side using my fingers was surprisingly challenging, so mine didn't turn out too sleek, though the cakes ended up with a more home-made feel. There has to be a more professional and easier way to do this without smudging the cream! Before I find out what it is, I probably won't be attempting a full-size old-fashioned cake anytime soon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...