More Mother's Day-related bakes!

Sorry for my semi-absence the past couple of weeks - have been preparing for and going for a few job interviews in between cake R&D attempts and occasional FB posts; and these other preoccupations have been distracting me from penning a new blog entry.

This May has been an unusually busy month for me, cake-wise. I was lucky enough to have received a few cake orders for Mother's Day (which I blogged about in the previous post). Last week also saw me making 2 cakes for family - one for my sister's birthday cum Mother's Day and another for mother-in-law. This coming weekend, a dear friend also entrusted her birthday cake-to-be into my hands...



This year's flavour for Mother's Day cakes for family turned out to be chocolate, but unintentionally so. My sis had been pestering me to make her some tiramisu, but it's been ages since I made tiramisu and it didn't seem as pretty-looking for a birthday cake. Thus I went for her 2nd choice - a healthy chocolate cake. [The challenge was to create a texture/ taste similar to that of Choc Origin's. I don't think mine was that rich/ indulgent, but I hope I came close]


Made with spelt flour, with Valrhona cocoa powder, premium dark chocolate and avocadoes used for the frosting. I thought it tasted very good for something healthier. The customers were satisfied, but D pointed out that the frosting (containing avocadoes) just tasted a little 'different'. 

I was thus prompted to make a more traditional version of a chocolate cake, but still attempt to be somewhat healthier by using less sugar etc. The more conventional chocolate cake with a twist came in the form of a mascarpone cheese chocolate cake, and I personally like how the mascarpone cheese (being a lighter cheese than cream cheese) gives the frosting its creaminess without being overly heavy. 

Unfortunately Korean strawberries were no longer in season, and I had to settle for some from the States. They certainly didn't taste as sweet; and came in odder shapes and occasionally gigantic sizes. Thankfully I managed to pick out six or seven relatively similar-sized ones for a simple and elegant cake decor :) 

This second cake was also well received; and I guess if I had to choose taste-wise, I might go for this one too - for an occasional treat :P 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...