Chia seed chocolate mud cake

I baked another chocolate cake yesterday, but paired it with a superfood this time round. Chia seeds
It's my first time trying to bake with chia seeds - interestingly, they swell up quite quickly when soaked in water, so each tiny seed becomes enveloped by a layer of gel. The recipe incorporates about half a cup of chia seeds - introducing a pretty interesting texture to the cake (but making this an expensive cake too). The gel gives the dark chocolate a nice fudgy texture, while the seeds create bits of crunchiness with every bite. 

I almost dropped the cake when taking it out of the oven and unfortunately smashed the nicely crusted top. Oh well, in the end the smashed up top crust created a great "unfinished" texture for photo-taking!


The chia seed is an increasingly popular superfood touted to have many health benefits - eg. it's high in Omega 3 fatty acids, antioxidants and other good stuff. I suspect it may be slightly overhyped with more and more people talking about it and companies marketing it, but it still seems like a relatively healthy food to incorporate into our diets. Being small and relatively tasteless, this little sesame-looking seed is pretty flexible for use in almost any type of food - yogurt, cereal, salads. Some people apparently eat it on its own too - like how some people take a spoonful of manuka honey a day. 

While my diet has generally been healthy, I am starting to truly believe that eating well and eating right is a wise investment in my health and well-being. I doubt I can ever live without my desserts, but a recent resolution is to make them healthier (but still yummy) for the benefit of my family, friends, loved ones and occasional customers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...