Completion of Professional Baking Course!



These were my "exam bakes" for my professional baking course - a black sesame mousse cake with black sesame chiffon layers; passionfruit meringue chocolate tarts and sundried tomatoes rosemary focaccia. Was really thankful that my cake turned out well (the mousse set nicely and the sides were clean) though it was really my first time making it (I was too tired to do a dry run before the exam; though I semi-tested parts of it, but didn't rehearse putting it together).

As for my tarts - my italian meringue was apparently slightly overwhipped and thus I wasn't able to get nice sharp tips (instead, they turned out a little blobby). It was a pity because when I tried it out at home I got really nice sharp tips! I suppose these things happen. The worst bake of all was my bread - somehow the dough was sticky AND I forgot to add my salt. And naturally when my instructors tasted it, they all felt it could do with a bit more salt (and they immediately understood why it was so bland when I owned up about the salt :P)

But despite the little boo-boos, I passed! But I would really hesitate to call myself a professional now - am still far from it. We basically learnt to make a lot of things - but I'd probably need a lot, a lot more practice to replicate all these baked goods again on my own, at home. Not too surprisingly, baking full time can be very physically demanding; and I doubt I would be able to do it for a 9 - 5 job. Regardless, I'm glad I went for the course as I picked up useful skills and got to know some nice ladies whom I can probably bake with next time!


I feel that the most valuable cake skill I picked up in the class was learning how to make mousse cakes. It was something most of my recipe books didn't really touch on; but which gives an extra edge and twist to a cake - especially when making petite cakes. We also learnt how to make chocolate glacage (the glossy layer covering the mousse cakes) and I suddenly felt so much more empowered - as I can now technically make the type of cakes Kki does :)

The most intriguing new skill picked up would be learning how to make puff pastry. I've always wondered how the many layers are created, and being able to do it successfully (in class only, for now!) made me childishly excited. Getting the layers to rise involves good folding skills though; and I have yet to put my folding skills to a real test. One of these days, I shall attempt to replicate them at home :)

6 comments:

  1. What did you do with all the yummy output from your classes? :) - YJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were mostly given away to family, friends and relatives ;) Occasionally some were left in fridge, forgotten and eventually dumped :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on completion of your course !!! Am thinking of taking it up this July. Am scared that I can't make it, cos its quite tiring to stand whole day plus there's practical n theory exam !! Is it like u do cake stuff few days, then bread few days then pastry few days ? Scared of confusion !! U know what I mean....hear fm u soon.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well it is pretty tiring but if you have the passion and interest, I am sure it will not be a problem for you. The chef starts with cakes, then bread - and I think just a day on puff pastry and a day on tarts. Tarts aren't the focus, mousse cakes are. IF you are looking to learn more pastry/ tart-making, you might want to look for another course instead.

    Perhaps you can take up the foundation cake/ bread classes offered by them first, before deciding whether to sign up for the professsional class :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tks for your advice. I've done the cake foundation already. Now I understand better after u explain more. I shall consider :) tks so much !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not at all - didn't help much! Basically - you just learn a lot of new things in a very short period of time. Occasionally classes overruns till 7 - 8pm or so; but it also depends on how fast a worker you are..

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...