Strawberry Ruffles Cake


I don't know about you, but I am really drawn by the romantic-looking ruffles on these ruffle cakes. It's one of those cakes I pin to my Pinterest board from time to time, hoping that I'd be able to make one some day. It's a huge hassle to do the ruffles though, and so for a while I merely dreamt about it; but never got down to taking any action - till I stumbled upon a good stable swiss meringue buttercream recipe (when making my strawberry cupcakes). 


Using appropriate buttercream for this is really important - to achieve the crisp ruffle effect. It looks like a lot of work, and having tried it myself I agree that quite a bit of effort is required; but that said it's really not as daunting as it looks, and be achieved fairly easily if you have the appropriate equipment and instruction (thank God for Youtube videos!)

And because my dream ruffle cake would be in light coral pink, I dyed my buttercream a light coral :) I'm pretty happy with my first try; though the internal cake slicing could have been prettier. There is some unevenness in my cake layers; but I suppose there is no need to be overly critical for a cake meant for self-consumption. The design on the top was self-improvised, and can perhaps look even prettier with a bit more practice!


With the overwhelming amount of cream (I didn't eat all of it of course :P), this felt more suitable for admiring than for enjoying. But cakes serve different purposes don't they? And THIS will be quite perfect for a wedding - but maybe something 3 times its current size :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...