Chin Mee Chin Confectionery



Chin mee chin confectionery along East Coast Road is probably one of the last authentically-old coffee shops left in Singapore. It's famous for its kaya/ kaya bread and D claims that they do the best soft-boiled eggs ever. I'm not a fan of gooey half cooked stuff so I cannot quite attest to the egg claim; but the kaya bread (which came with generous slices of butter) made for quite a simple but satisfying Sunday breakfast! 




Aside from kaya toast the confectionery also sells simple cakes, cream puffs, egg tart-lookalike custard tarts and other pastries. I tried a custard tart when I came here with J a few months ago; and a "horn" (a cone-shaped flaky pastry stuffed with buttercream) last Sunday. All I can say is that they taste somewhat interesting - they didn't taste bad at all, but just somewhat foreign and unfamiliar. I guess I would come here more for the nostalgic ambience (i love the mosaic tiles!) but not so much for pastries. The kaya buns are good though and cream puffs (which I didn't try) looked homely and somewhat promising. Perhaps something to try when I next visit! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...