Good and bad news @ the veggie plot

When I first blogged about my veggie plot, my lady fingers were doing quite well, I had one resilient bak choy; and my kangkong were just 3-days old :) I also showed a photo of my tallest sunflower (out of three planted). They are doing generally well - but there were two tragedies, one survivor and one new addition to the garden.

Good news first. This - is the new addition to my garden. I bet you've not seen a lady finger flower before? This is what it looks like. Doesn't it look lovely? :)





Can you spot the lady finger flower? :) My lady finger plants (aside from the one that was cat-pooed on) are all doing relatively well. It seems like a few of them may flower soon, and hopefully I'd get my first batch of lady fingers next month! 


These are baby limes from my lime tree - photographed just after a shower, thus the drops of water dripping from the lime. I didn't really grow this lime tree; it was transplanted by the landscaper from the nursery when we first did up the garden. But still happy that it's doing well!


These are my kangkongs - with a couple of super kangkongs. As the kangkong seedlings were transplanted into the plot around the same time, the appearance of super kangkongs whose rate of growth seemed to substantially outpace the rest was pretty baffling. I am not complaining though - and believe it could be attributed to the addition of my coffee compost fertiliser. 

We thought the use of coffee compost as organic fertiliser was a pretty neat idea friendly to the environment. We first chanced upon these packets ad dr. Cafe Coffee at Katong I12 (see photo on the right). They contain used coffee grounds recycled for use as coffee compost organic fertiliser due to the nitrogen, traces of phosphorus and potassium present in the coffee grounds. The cafe chain repackages them for anyone to take away for use in their garden. I really like this idea and more coffee chains should do this! 


And now for the tragedies. My sole-surviving bak choy suffered a savage attack (by snails? grasshoppers?) 2 weeks ago and half its leaves were chewed off. Thankfully it seemed pretty resilient and has since grown a couple of new young leaves!

The saddest news is the manslaughter of my tallest 2 months-old sunflower plant - my landscaper, for some reason, did not see this 15-cm sunflower when mowing the lawn. The other 2 sunflowers were unscathed, but the tallest and strongest one was brutally beheaded. I was quite devastated, but I suppose things happen. Rest in peace my dear sunflower :(

2 comments:

  1. awww... the sunflower will grow back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't seem like it's reviving, but maybe one day I'd get a surprise... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...