Healthier red velvet cake


I made red velvet cupcakes once a couple of years back - with red food dye. Honestly I was pretty hesitant to put all the food dye in my cupcake mix then - goodness knows how much toxins/ chemicals I would ingest! But for a first try I still went ahead with the food dye, though with a much reduced portion. My red velvet cupcakes turned out deep red, but in the end I felt a little squeamish eating too much of it. Unfortunately, most cafes/ bakeries/ cupcake places just add red food dye to their red velvet as it easily and quickly creates a nice and consistent vibrant red colour.

This time round, I attempted a healthier version of red velvet cake, dyeing them naturally using beets. Beets naturally add a bit of a veggie taste to the cake - but personally I think it's a small trade off for something friendlier to our bodies! I suppose I'm also biased as I don't mind the taste of beets that much. Nonetheless, this cake drew mixed reviews from my tasters, and so it requires a bit more work and experimentation, before I can say that I'm truly proud of this healthier version of the red velvet cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...